Sunday, August 26, 2007

Detour to Northwind





For the past four years, I've spoken at Northwind Perennial Farm Nursery in Burlington Wisconsin on the last Saturday in August. Setting up a date a year ahead of time when I know we won't be planting has determined this scheduling. This year, the weather gods have given our region quite a challenge. Wisconsin has suffered its worst flooding in about 30 years and the Chicago area was hit by a massive storm on Thursday; the rain & 70 mph winds knocked out electricity for about 200,000 people, took out huge trees and caused substantial flooding.
I left Evanston about 7 am. The skies were magnificent and after weeks of rain, this first day of sun felt like a blessing of biblical proportion. Once across the state line, a few exits off the interstate were closed due to high water. Then, the much-traveled road between 94 and the resort town of Lake Geneva, highway 50, was shut down because the Fox River had risen over the road. The nursery sent me on an alternate route (142) which, while less-direct, turned out to be so beautiful that I think this has to be my new drive. It passes through the Bong Recreational Area ( see car-shot above). In the mid-1970s, this land was saved three days before being converted into a jet fighter base and now houses camping sites, a wildlife refuge, falcon training grounds and trails through restored prairie, wetland and woods. Look here for pictures: I will try to visit in the fall or winter.
The alternate route took me through the high crossing point, the town of Burlington. I stopped and photographed the swollen river a few foot over from the main bridge.



Later, at the nursery, Roy Diblik (plantsman extraordinaire) told me that they had had 14 inches of rain in August! He showed me Sedum 'Red Cauli' (as in "Cauliflower") a gorgeous red sedum that had miraculously kept its form and color intact despite the deluge....see it top of blog entry looking a little faded because sun was shining heavily, but take my word for it: this cultivar is one to note.
I was happy to witness the new section (two years) of the exhibition gardens filling in. Steve built this impressive stone pyramid with the entrance rock making a transition to the weight of the beds beyond. What you can't see at the base of the pyramid is the gravel garden Roy has installed: about 4 inches of gravel with the plants planted right into it...apparently folks are doing this in Europe. I saw it done at Gunnebo Slott in Sweden a few years ago; you can see that on my website.


No comments: