Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Right Plant, Right Place



Even the dreaded, spreading Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) has an appropriate home somewhere. Here, my neighbors have placed it brilliantly where it is not only contained, but dresses up the alley telephone poles. Remember A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? That book featured Ailanthus altissima...when it lands in my clients' gardens, I suggest removing it quickly since it puts down a toxin that discourages competition (You Go, Darwin!). However, a brief internet search revealed some of its features new to me. Among them, the fact that in France caterpillars from silk-producing moths like its leaves and that the tree also contains various medical properties. All living beings are complicated with both a sunny and dark side, eh? No axis of evil in my book.

No comments: