Monday, January 7, 2008

Unseasonal Weather



A week ago we had snow and below-freezing temps. Today's record high, broke the century-old record when we hit 60 degrees this afternoon. Not only is thunder rumbling, but a tornado watch is in effect. Meteorologists say a tornado has never been sighted near Chicago in January, but North near Rockford, we seem to have broken that record too.

Just way too funky for my taste, global warming or not. The poor plants are having to endure a roller coaster ride of freeze/thaw and possible eventual demise. Not to mention opportunistic diseases that creep in. Meantime, people (at least those quoted in the TRIB) seem to love it and are buying ice-cream. Well, this doesn't even subscribe to the Swedish dictum that you can eat ice-cream if the sun is shining...Bah humbug!

I looked through my photos to see what I was doing a year ago. At approximately this time in 2007, my mother and I were on an art vacation in NYC. The weather was also warm, in the 50s. From our B & B, I photographed the roof-top garden next door: you can see some conifers barely peeking over the edge.

No comments: